Longchar sucks. Introducing BigCharacter

4 minute read

Now that I’ve got your attention, let me say this: LONGCHAR doesn’t always suck. But, it definitely does suck sometimes

The Bug

Here’s an example. How long does it take for this code to complete on your system?


DO i=1 TO 1000000:
  lc = lc + STRING(i).
  IF i MOD 100 EQ 0 THEN

On the 4-CPU / 8GiB RAM Unix server I ran it on, it took 3 1/2 hours! It started rather quickly, but once it hit ~ 100K records it started to slow down quite a bit. This issue is documented in ProKB #P101079, and according to Progress is “expected behavior” due to the STRING(i) being an implicit cast to LONGCHAR, which is supposedly a “resource consuming” operation. To me, this doesn’t really add up, since when you run the above code, it does go really fast for at least the first 100K records. If that explanation was true, then wouldn’t the operation be consistently slow, and not start out really fast and then slow down? Not like the explanation really matters too much - the operation is slow nonetheless.

This bug is harmful to me mostly due to the heavy use of CHAR-to-LONGCHAR appending in my ExcelABL classes. This is a needed operation when I have to serialize many objects (Cells) into a flat chunk of memory (a LONGCHAR in their parent Worksheet). The reason for the serialization is because Progress allocates a very large amount of space for objects, and without flattening them into the smallest amount of space possible (when the number of objects reaches a certain threshold), one would run out of memory for even moderately sized Excel Worksheets. Basically, directly due to this bug, the creation of large Excel documents can take an unnecessarily long amount of time.

A Proposed Solution

I have created a new datatype called BigCharacter (the source of which is linked for your convenience) that I hope will address some of the shortcomings of the LONGCHAR datatype. Even though it will not be quite a “drop-in” replacement since Progress doesn’t allow operator overloading and there is no garbage collection (well, not in 10.1C anyway), I hope it can still be considered a useful alternative for some cases.

Here is the same test from above, instead performed using BigCharacter:

DEF VAR objbc AS BigCharacter NO-UNDO.
DEF VAR i     AS INT          NO-UNDO.

objbc = NEW BigCharacter().
DO i=1 TO 1000000:
  IF i MOD 100 EQ 0 THEN


On my system, this test finished in under two minutes!

BigCharacter’s speed advantage in the above test is due to its strict use of primitive CHARACTER variables at its core, which do not suffer from the performance penalty of CHARACTER-to-LONGCHAR append operations referenced above. All dynamic allocation of CHARACTER data is handled by the class structure without the user having to know the details.


This code is definitely a work-in-progress and there are a few kinks I have yet to work out… I might end up gutting most of the internals and changing how things work completely. However, I have tried to structure the BigCharacter public method signatures in a way so that future improvements should be backwards-compatible with any code that uses the current version (no re-compile required). Here are some known and theoretical issues:

  • My original, naïve implementation was only a single class which basically wrapped CHARACTER variables in a temp-table. Unfortunately, this caused errors that prompted me to increase my session -s parameter (the stack space ceiling). This has since been corrected with a new design.
  • My current implementation is basically a wrapper around the original naïve implementation, which can essentially be thought of as a master temp-table of CHARACTER temp-tables. Unfortunately, for relatively large amounts of data, it prompts the user to increase the session -l parameter. After reading Progress Knowledgebase #P116899, I think this might have to do with leaving a lot of CharBlock ttChar buffers open. A quick fix might be to RELEASE these buffers when I am done with them.
  • Writing to a file/disk is much slower than LONGCHAR for relatively large amounts of data. My guess is that the temp-tables are being paged to disk without me knowing it, and when I am trying to write their values out to file I have to re-read them in to memory before writing them back out to disk again. Since I can’t really control how temp-tables are stored internally, the only way to get around this is to stop using temp-tables all together. I would like to explore using work-tables or indeterminate arrays as an alternative; the big advantage of these are that they should stay strictly in-memory.
  • Progress’s hard limit of 32,000 indexes per session. Since each CharBlock (and BigCharacter) needs its own temp-table, this imposes a limit on the maximum size and number of BigCharacters in a session. Like the above issue, the only way to really get around this is to get rid of the usage of temp-tables internally in the classes.